Re: A86: ROM Images

[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

Re: A86: ROM Images

At 08:43 AM 11/15/98 -0800, you wrote:
>>The act of copying the
>>ROM is a violation of the copyright law and by distributing the
>
>i think it depends what you use it for.  mind you, i'm not a lawyer.
>
>from § 107. Limitations on exclusive rights: Fair use
>
>>  ... the fair use of a copyrighted work, including such use by
>>  reproduction in copies or phonorecords or by any other means
>>  specified by that section, for purposes such as ... research,
>>  is not an infringement of copyright. ...
>
>(see http://www.copyright.com )

Well, we ARE doing research!  We are researching how to make games for the
TI graphing calculators and then writing games and matching the game code
against the ROM to make sure it works, then beta testers do the exact same
thing.  Therefore distributing the ROM IS legal since we are under the
section of copyright law that deals with research.

(Eat your heart out TI :)

                 Thomas J. Hruska -- thruska@tir.com
                    http://shinelight.home.ml.org

Follow-Ups: References: