Re: A85: Shells and games

[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

Re: A85: Shells and games

Wolfgang Amadeus Mozart wrote:

> Jimmy Mårdell wrote:
> > Well, YOUR programs would be smaller if made for Usgard, so I don't
> > really get your point... by making your own routines instead of use OS
> > built in routines, the program gets bigger.
>
> None of my programs use anything that Usgard has in it.. Therefore my
> programs wouldn't be any smaller if I used usgard!

Ah.. you never multiply, display HL in menu style (could probably be
used
in 95% of all games), wait until a key is pressed (OTH_ENTER), clear
some
part of the memory (OTH_CLEAR) etc. Those are quite common and probably
used (could be) in 50% of all programs.

> > ...even though it gets bigger in the end. Well, it's your choice. What
> > is this OS/7 really? Never heard of it. I don't like phatos relocation
>
> OS/7.. It's the smallest shell released.. I like the author's attitude,
> though.. Just made it for himself, released it, and doesn't give a shit
> if people use it or not (unlike certain OTHER shellmakers out there..)

So, you program games (which you don't announce) for a shell which isn't
announced. You obviously don't even WANT people to run your programs.

> Don't any of you read the messages?  My comment was that the Shell that
> is best for a programmer all depends on what he programs, and has
> nothing to do with his competence!!  But a whole bunch of you seem stuck
> on thinking that what you prefer HAS to be best for everyone!!

If you want (which you don't do) people to run your programs, you
shouldn't
program for a shell nobody uses. In your point of view, I can't
understand
why you even USE a shell. Let your program be at a fixed location and
only
work for one ROM version... that's definately best for the PROGRAMMER.

--
Jimmy Mårdell                "The nice thing about standards is that
mailto:mja@algonet.se         there are so many of them to choose from."