Re: A85: Rigel, where'd it go??

[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

Re: A85: Rigel, where'd it go??

82nd Deer wrote:

> >       Someone once wrote that Rigel needs a better interface.  I disagree.
> >In my opinion, size is much more important then interface. Possibly it
> >would be cool to make 2 versions of Rigel (similar to Usgard) - one with
> >a complex interface, and one with a simple interface.
>
> Only a couple hundred bytes?
>
> >       This email also discusses a suggestion I once wrote about Usgard that
> >was promptly dismissed.  I suggest breaking up all the libraries into
> >single functions.  That would eliminate any wasted space, especially in
> >the case of a program using only one function in a library.  There
> >should also be a computer program that lets the user choose the games to
> >be transported onto the calculator, assembles all the needed
> >one-function libraries into one big library, and puts all the programs
> >along with the library into a backup file or a grouped file.  To avoid
> >unnecessary backups, more than one library file needs to be supported.
> >I realize, as someone once pointed out, that some people are lazy.
> >However, the above method is the only way to trully save space using
> >libraries, and there are not really any hassles involved, considering a
> >computer program does all the work.
>
> This would be foolish - considering not only the overhead in the VAT for
> each file, plus the simple agony of doing something like this.  People are
> barely competent to load one of 10 different libraries, but when 100 show
> up people would lose their minds.  Rigel is rather nice, it would be better
> if the interface was better (it is rather horrible), better TSR support,
> and some people to make stuff for it.  Solytare was also a rather
> refreshing game.

Exactly.  For one, Libraries, in general, should be rather small (about
a two-hundred bytes at most).  Second, libraries should not be used
liberally.  We should only release related functions in a nice little
package.  Libraries are great for certain applications on the TI-85
(grayscale, sound, sprites, compression, and possibly to contain some
rather commonly used functions).

By the way, why do you suggest the Rigel interface is horrible.  It is
certainly better than the ZShell one.  I would appreciate it if you made
any suggestions as to how I can improve it.  Thanx.

Ben

Follow-Ups: References: