Re: A85: Rigel, where'd it go??

[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

Re: A85: Rigel, where'd it go??

Michael Pearce wrote:

> On Tue, 14 Oct 1997 19:18:50 -0400, you wrote:
>
> >Jimmy Mårdell wrote:
> >> As Sam & Andi has mentioned, it's one byte most of the time. The format
> >> is very simple: if the next byte in the relocation table is >0, it's
> >> the relative address from the previous relocation address. If it's 0,
> >> the next word in the table is the relative address from the previous
> >> relocation address.
> >>
> >> Personally, I've never liked fixed address relocation because it
> >> seems very unstable, especially if you're going to support libraries,
> >> TSR, deleting/resizing vars etc. Deleting a variable between
> >> the fixed program and libraries in use (+ TSR programs running) must
> >> require quite a lot of code since you have to rerelocate the library
> >> and the TSR program.
> >
> >Maybe that's been the case in your attempts with Usgard.  However, Rigel
> >1.0, which supports Fixed Address Relocation, is very stable.  One can
> >have TSRs, libraries, and use the Var functions (I've tested).  And as
> >for it taking a lot of code.  Well, somehow I managed to get Rigel in a
> >size 800 bytes less than Usgard.  So, do you have a different opinion on
> >fixed address relocation?
> >

> I think that you are over estimating the size of Usgard.  With a shell
> similar to the one for rigel, it is about 1800 bytes.  Rigel, without
> all of the features you talked about (i.e. v0.9) is 1200 bytes.
>
> -mike pearce

Maybe your mistaken.  I believe the full version of Usgard is 1900 bytes
w/o a shell.  With a comparable shell Usgard is greater than 2200 bytes
at least.  Rigel which has all the features (plus lots more) of Usgard,
is going to be less than 1500 bytes.  That's at least a good 700 bytes
less than Rigel (not to mention that you get fixed address relocation
and library support; two things not in Usgard).  I can't argue that one
should use Rigel right now.  But once I (and hopefully and lot more
people) develop games and the such for Rigel, I could make that
argument.  Hey, power to Usgard, I hope it has a transitory success.

Follow-Ups: References: