A85: FTP by Mail instructions

[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

Brian Leech wrote:

> At 11:43 PM 10/14/97 GMT, Michael Pearce wrote:
> >Does anyone have the text file explaining ftp through email to these
> >poor lost soulds?  If so, please send it to them.
>
> I don't have "THE text file," but here's a FTP by Mail server:
>
> bitftp@pucc.princeton.edu
>
> Send email to this address with "HELP" in the message body.  This will give
> you the full syntax.  (For those who don't know, the server you should use
> is ftp.ticalc.org, login = anonymous.  The princeton  server will
> automagically send your email address as the password.  And yes, it will
> UUENCODE, for all you Juno people).
>
> --
> Brian Leech
> butvis@mindspring.com
> ICQ UIN: 1355611

    To find software, send an e-mail to an Archie server (archie.mcgill.ca,
archie.sura.net, archie.unl.edu, archie.ans.net, or archie.rutgers.edu) that
has the next 2 lines:

    set search sub
    find KEYWORD

    For KEYWORD, type your search term. The server should send back an e-mail
listing files and addresses where the relevant files are. But whenever
possible, name the exact to look for.

    To get a directory listing send an e-mail to an FTP mail server, like
bitftp@pucc.princeton.edi with lines to tell the server what you want it to do.

    Here's an example:

    open ticalc.org
    chdir pub
    dir
    quit

    That would tell the mail server to log on to the ticalc.org FTP site,
change to the directory pub and grab a directory listing.

    To get software, send another e-mail which gives the server additional
instructions:

    open ticalc.org
    chdir pub
    binary
    get ABC.ZIP
    quit

    This would command the FTP mail server to log on to ticalc.org, go the the
pub directory, switch to binary transfer mode download the file ABC.ZIP, then
log off, sending the file in the message.

--
Salute,

    John Woo
    jwoo@ibm.net