[A83] Re: Is compression possible?

[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

[A83] Re: Is compression possible?

> What kind of solutions do you have in mind?  Have you
thought of a new way
> of displaying sprites that would allow me to have the 1K
of sprites in a
> game fit in only 10 bytes of memory, while not slowing
down their drawing
> or making the sprite routine larger?  If so, I would be
impressed.
Not exactly. An example: I use vector sprites in Death
Rally. Every time a race is started, the map is calculated
(2k picture from 20-30 bytes of data), the car sprites with
masks are predrawn (5k data per car from about 30-40
bytes). The "decompressing" routine takes around 2k (I
don't know exactly because I never bothered to compile it
separately). However, I can add lots of cars and tracks if
I want without having to sacrifice much more space.
Besides, I don't think it's a slow program, though it's
still very far from being well-optimised. The actual trick
is to decompress only the data which is needed.

> more impressive would be to turn the 100 bytes of text on
a title screen
> into 1 byte without just using the 'solution' of not
displaying the title
> screen at all.
Text is another issue. It can be compressed quite well, but
only if there is much of it. Under normal circumstances, an
ordinary routine would suffice. I would still try to take
advantage of the fact that only a small number of codes is
used out of the 256.

PG

Follow-Ups: References: