[A83] Re: Is compression possible?

[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

[A83] Re: Is compression possible?

On Thu, 25 Apr 2002, Patai Gergely wrote:

> > Many programs do include data (such as text, graphics, or
> > tile maps) that could be compressed in its most natural format.

> Everything can be compressed to a certain extent, but I
> still prefer solutions from the programmers' side.
> Compression is indeed very useful, however, I'm convinced
> that size issues must be considered while planning the
> programs themselves. I'm talking about "compression" ratios
> of 1:100, not about the ratio of 7:10 achieved general
> algorithms...

What kind of solutions do you have in mind?  Have you thought of a new way
of displaying sprites that would allow me to have the 1K of sprites in a
game fit in only 10 bytes of memory, while not slowing down their drawing
or making the sprite routine larger?  If so, I would be impressed.  Even
more impressive would be to turn the 100 bytes of text on a title screen
into 1 byte without just using the 'solution' of not displaying the title
screen at all.

Follow-Ups: References: