[A83] Re: Ion v1.6 garbled screen

[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

On Mon, 10 Dec 2001, Dan Weiss wrote:

> without the exclamation mark.  I then run program A and the Ion interface
> is garbled.  The whole screen seems to be going up a slope.  For example,
> instead of properly displaying "_", it displays "/".  Everything is
> diagonal.  Phoenix 1.51 for ion also garbles the screen in the same way that
> the ION interface does.  If anybody knows what is wrong please tell me!

It appears that the annoying display timing problem of these calculators
has struck yet again.  The problem is that the display controller only
acepts data at a limited reate, so some is not processed correctly if it
is sent too fast.  Thus if your processor is faster than expected (or your
display controller slower than expected) bad things happen.  In regard to
Phoenix 1.51, I may actually have a real solution, though.  You can get an
experimental new version of it from:

http//www.ocf.berkeley.edu/~pad/experimental/phoenixz-ti83.zip
http//www.ocf.berkeley.edu/~pad/experimental/phoenixz-ti83p.zip

In this version, I use a copy routine which checks whether the display is
ready, so it should be able to adapt to any display speed, giving even the
extremely long delays needed on some 83+SEs.  But I'm not yet completely
sure this will work.