Re: A82: Game Wizard v2.0 bug discovered!!!

[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

At 10:12 PM 2/6/98 -0800, you wrote:

>>HINT to Dines:  Use the block relocation method that I previously have
>>mentioned which will preserve programs such as Game Wizard and will allow
>>for other programs like Dying Eyes (which also has a problem with
>>relocation due to it's size of over 13K).
>
>What block relocation method?  CrASH authors would like to know too :)

Block relocation was a method of relocation that I previously described on
this list as a general idea of relocation that should work better than the
swapping bytes method that is used in ASH v3.0 (aka simpel (or is it
simple) relocation).  The principle is the same except everything is moved
in chunks or blocks and preserves all the programs before and after the
relocated program.  The basic idea is to take about 50-500 bytes of the
program (author's choice...larger=faster, I recommend the GRAPH_MEM=768
bytes) that is to be relocated and store it in a temporary location.  Then,
everything above the program is "shifted" down (most likely using lddr)
50-500 bytes (whatever the size is that was copied) and the process is
repeated until the end of the program is reached and then the exact size is
copied and all the programs above are moved down and everything is
preserved allowing Game Wizard and any other TSRs to run without having to
worry about split programs.  Once the program is done running, it is moved
back to where it was before leaving everyone happy in the shell's
environment.  If anything needs to be explained further, I will explain but
e-mail text isn't the greatest method of showing how it works.

                 Thomas J. Hruska -- thruska@tir.com
                    http://shinelight.home.ml.org

  Spam-Fighter code is:  14806560   (New technique to fighting spam)
  Enter "Spam-Fighter:  XXXXXXXX" in the body of a personal message
  to thruska@tir.com.  Otherwise the message will be filtered as spam.