Re: TI-H: TCP/IP

[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

Re: TI-H: TCP/IP

You missed the point again.  The 286 is a nice, usable package.  A lot of 386's
are surface mount.  You might have access to these resources, but personally, it's
a lot easier to deal with a socket than a rework station.
As for smaller, simpler components, I mean to go the way of the Amiga.  Use a chip
for mp3 decoding, another for video, another for hard disk, and so on.  Dedicated
hardware for each function may make it easier to build, and a LOT simpler for
anyone else to work on.  Otherwise, it's a power supply, a hard disk, a headphone
jack, a display, and TWO chips (ROM and CPU) with a crap load of traces.   I know
I'm exaggerating, but you get the idea.
And from now on, let this thread die.  It's not TI-H related.  Mail me personally
to argue over semantics, Because it'll keep everyone else from getting pissed off.

CK

Grant Stockly wrote:

> I have recources and knowlege that most people don't have.  :)  Come on,
> there aren't too many chips!  :)  I just bought a pile of dead macs and now
> I'm going to pry the processors out...  (Only the powersupply was dead)
> They were LC475 machines.
> -----
> Thats what version 1.0 does.  But version 2.0 (no one but Robert Brack and
> a few others know about it) has a 240x128 monitor and lots of goodies.  :)
>
> Version 1.0 cab be built with an $8 AVR.  But the AVR can't think about
> refreshing an LCD worth anything.  :/
>
> >Although, if you want cheap CPU's for basic control capabilities, a 286 might
> >do the trick.  A socketed version is easier to deal with, and x86 code is a
> >cinch for even me to write (well, mostly).
>
> We were planning on using some of the embedded 386 chips.  Sounds good?  We
> were doing that so the code taht runs the linux drivers could be ported.
> Supposedly the 286 has different rom and 'c' calls or something.  I don't
> know that it could handle ATAPI too well either.  :/
>
> It would be real nice to have a chip that did everything.  If we used the
> 386 embedded processor, we'd still have to have the mpeg decoder and IDE
> support chips.  :/
>
> Grant

Follow-Ups: References: