Re: TI-H: TCP/IP

[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

Re: TI-H: TCP/IP

>Well, I would, but I lost the code when that machine crashed.  I need Disk #1
>of MacOS8 to get the files back... :)
>(For those of you who don't know, this is a reference to Grant's "I need
>precopy2.cab!" explanation for the lack of any posted info a while back...
>hehehe)

You don't need disk 1.  Disk one for 8.0 is a rescue disk.  The install
disk will work fine.  :)

> Sorry :(

:(

>And be careful with a 68040... they're not exactly hobbyist-level chips to
>work
>with.

I have recources and knowlege that most people don't have.  :)  Come on,
there aren't too many chips!  :)  I just bought a pile of dead macs and now
I'm going to pry the processors out...  (Only the powersupply was dead)
They were LC475 machines.

>If you want a production model of an mp3 player, go ahead.  Otherwise,
>use smaller, simpler components, so you can more easily squash any bugs.

Thats what version 1.0 does.  But version 2.0 (no one but Robert Brack and
a few others know about it) has a 240x128 monitor and lots of goodies.  :)

Version 1.0 cab be built with an $8 AVR.  But the AVR can't think about
refreshing an LCD worth anything.  :/

>Although, if you want cheap CPU's for basic control capabilities, a 286 might
>do the trick.  A socketed version is easier to deal with, and x86 code is a
>cinch for even me to write (well, mostly).

We were planning on using some of the embedded 386 chips.  Sounds good?  We
were doing that so the code taht runs the linux drivers could be ported.
Supposedly the 286 has different rom and 'c' calls or something.  I don't
know that it could handle ATAPI too well either.  :/

It would be real nice to have a chip that did everything.  If we used the
386 embedded processor, we'd still have to have the mpeg decoder and IDE
support chips.  :/

Grant

Follow-Ups: References: