Re: TI-H: USB Link

[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

Re: TI-H: USB Link

>Grant, you can't realistically tell me that this wasn't HEAVILY biased
>towards the mac.  If that single mac did something faster than 1,500
>PC's, then it simply meant that the operation that they were trying to
>perform either *couldn't* be parallel processed, or the mor0ns didn't
>write the program correctly and the bottleneck became the
>communication between the PC's as opposed to the PC's processing
>capability.  Anyone who believes that a single mac can outperform
>1,500 PC's in a parallelizeable application is smoking a big phatty.

They use 10Base-T, so it was the network at fualt also.  But you have to
think about a computer with a beta bus of 200MHz.  It screams.  it also
crashes.
The PCs were all Dell 166 Pent.

>>The G3s processor can do operations 2 to 4x faster than the fastest Pent,
>>and its bus is only 80MHz.  :)
>Where are you getting these benchmarks grant?  Can you point me to an
>online article that backs up these claims?
>
>I'd like to see a G3 that's 4x faster than my p400.  For as much as
>you'd PAY for a loaded G3, you'd surely EXPECT it to be 4x faster :).

The processor bare sold directly from IBM is about (300MHz) $789 so Apple
realy does have cheep prices when you look at the prices of the processor.

Do a search for bytemark testing.  So far they've only published tests with
a Pent 333 against a 233MHz G3.

---
Apple Just releases G3 333 with faster bus.  233MHz discontinued becasue it
was too slow.  Motorola just released 366MHz And using 1.9volt supply,
these make perfect laptop processors.

The G3 366 gets performance over 671 MIPS.
---
Web Cams show interest of iMac at several retail stores.
http://www.apple.com/hotnews/features/encounter1.html
http://www.apple.com/hotnews/features/encounter2.html
http://www.apple.com/hotnews/features/encounter3.html
http://www.apple.com/hotnews/features/encounter4.html
http://www.apple.com/hotnews/features/searchlights.html
Since the 10th apple has sold over 150,000 iMacs.
---
BYTEmark testing

PowerBook/292 G3		9.8
PowerBook/250 G3		8.4