Re: TI-H: Microcontroller uses.

[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

Thomas Goetzman wrote:

> I was just sitting around thinking about Microcontrollers, and figured,
> if you wanted to REALLY get use out of a Microcontroller, an interesting
> project would be to use a Microcontroller to convert the 2 bi-dir lines
> of the TI-85 into a more useful 6(Two in, Two out, Clock, Ground) or 8
> (3 address bits for daisy-chaining, one in, one out, clock, ground,
> interrupt) data bus. The second one would be extremely appealing, since
> it would use a "small" ribbon cable for connection, the address would
> let you connect multiple devices, and the interrupt could be used to
> have the devices be more than just "dumb" i/o ports.
>
> If the Microcontroller had a small memory buffer, it would allow the two
> busses (The TI-link bus and the new bus) to run at different clock
> rates.
>
> To do this qould require a lot of ASM experience with whatever
> Microcontroller was used (Experience I do not have), and Z80 ASM
> knowledge.
>
> Anyways, just some thoughts.
>
> Charlie Goetzman
> tgoetzma@lax.net

There already exists a chip that can do at least some of this without
any programming. The Philips I2C chip PCF8574 is a 8-bit
quasi-bidirectional remote I/O  expander, i.e. it has 8 data pins that
can be read (after having been set in HIGH state) and written to. It can
quite easily be controlled by Per Finander's I2C routines.

-Ozone

--
*** Osma Suominen *** ozone@clinet.fi *** http://www.clinet.fi/~ozone
***