Re: TI-H: Parallel Memory expansion

[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

Re: TI-H: Parallel Memory expansion

>Date: Sun, 10 Aug 1997 13:11:27 -0500
>From: Thomas Goetzman <tgoetzma@lax.net>
>To: ti-hardware@lists.ticalc.org
>Subject: TI-H: Parallel Memory expansion
>
>I've read a lot about the Memory Expander's chips being discontinued,
>and how all thats left, really, are parallel ram chips, but wouldn't it
>be (relatively) easy to use the I2C bus system to interface to 3 or
more
>8bit I/O expansion I2C chips, and thus connect to one or more parallel
>ram chips? I know it would be slow(er), but I think we'd better take
>what we can get.
>
>I can do the hardware design just find if this is descovered to be
>viable, but I would need someone to do the Zshell/Usgard drivers.
>
>Charlie Goetzman
>tgoetzma@lax.net

Someone mentioned IC2 before and it sounds good. TI calcs CAN interface
with IC2, because there is a temperature sensor for the 85 based on IC2.
I had the idea of parralel flash chips that would use a shiftregister to
convert serial to parallel and back. Mel came up with such a design, but
stoped developing it. If you can pull this off with IC2 HOOORAY FOR
YOU!!! (-:

I am realy hoping that it can be done without microcontrolers, because
they are so hard to program ($100 equipment). Every one building a
microcontroller based expander seems to say that it's the best way to go
and in many, many ways, it is, but it means you have to atleast buy the
chip from someone. A driver would make it easy to build it yourself, and
that's what I like. I can't help with the driver, but I will cheer you
on. Try IC2. It might just work.

Also, let me know how many chips it would probably take. If it isn't to
many, I would like to design a SPinTerface Memory Cartridge based on it.

Thanks!!!

Richard Piotter

e-mail: richfiles@hotmail.com

home page: <A