Re: SD: Got a proposition

[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

Re: SD: Got a proposition

-> > -> Well, I'm writing a shell for the 86 that emulates the 85.  I would
-> >
-> > -> appreciate any information you could give me.  I haven't looked
-> > into the
-> > -> MISh source yet, but I have looked at UShell.  Thanks.
-> >
-> > UShell source isn't going to do you any good.  MISh will.  It works
-> > with
-> > ZShell 4.0 programs.  One problem with running 85 stuff on an 86 is
-> > that the
-> > IY index register probably points to different stuff.  You'll probably
-> > have
-> > to remap every reference to IY.
->
-> How would I go about doing that?  I'm still new to ASM and don't know
-> everything that you seasoned programmers do.  I know that a shell is not
-> exactly the best way to start my ASM learning experience, but I figured
-> I might as well start somewhere.  I downloaded the MISh source and took
-> a quick look at it.  I'll go through it and see what I can learn.
-> Thanks.

Actually I'd say the best way to learn ASM is to make a shell.  Thats when
all my skills popped out.  Shell development will give you a much better
understanding of how things work than just programming like normal.

Remapping can be difficult, but not impossible.  Find a chart that gives
the hesidecimal equivalents of all the commands, and examine the header file
you use, too.  That sould give you some understanding.  You just need to
search for a command, or any refence to IY, then change it.