Re: Which TI should I get?

[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

Re: Which TI should I get?

On Tue, 19 Jan 1999 18:20:12 +0100, "Steen Schmidt"
<SSchmidt@vip.cybercity.dk> wrote:

>>>Try solving something (e.g. (e^x)*sqrt(3)-3=5), this will leave the TI's
>in
>>>the dust (the example returns x=0.382533849......in just over 1 sec.).
>

>Well......sorry.
>I tried it again and the HP also returned 1.53..... and so on. I must have
>divided it by 4.....not so good.

And the HP returns the answer slower, as well.  From start to finish,
again the TI is faster in returning the correct answer.  Fruther, the
history on the TI, at which some scoff would have allowed you to go
back and see what you entered.  With the HP isn't the best you'll get
a list of your intermediate answers?

>Regarding ALG48 & Erable?!?!? Are they hard to use????
>
>I find the documentation very extensive and easy to understand - these
>programs are so powerful that every HP48 owner should have them installed! I
>think it's a big mistake that you haven't given them a chance. Without those
>installed, the TI wins every symbolic contest by a mile.
Why bother to install them.  My HP's would be no more useful to me,
sitting in my junk drawer, if I installed every program known to man.

>You also should not forget that it's not stupidity that caused the HP
>programmers to leave out these now esential symbolic capabilities - 8 years
>ago there wasn't even that many PC-based utilities that could handle
>symbolics - as a matter of fact it was one of the first (if not the first)
>calculators that could do symbolic manipulations.
So?  Do you drive the first car made, since it was the first car made?
I fail to see your point here.

>I would rather ask the question of why TI didn't embrace the power of the
>Motorola processor and made a totally killer machine, instead of just
>something half-finished that barely keeps it's head above water compared to
>an esentially 10 years old machine.
They did make a killer machine.  I for instance don't have to wait
half a second for a menu to appear, or over a second to solve an
equation numerically.  Nor do I have to wade through menu's or install
more programs  to solve an equation symbolically.  My TI came with
what it needs out of the box.