Re: Which TI should I get?

[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

Re: Which TI should I get?

On Mon, 18 Jan 1999 21:56:10 +0100, "Steen Schmidt"
<SSchmidt@vip.cybercity.dk> wrote:

>Admitted - I have never inverted a 30x30 matrix by hand and it's pretty much
>over the top if you are doing such calculations in the field. BUT - this was
>only an example to show that in any numerical calculation the HP48 has the
>TI beat.
>Try solving something (e.g. (e^x)*sqrt(3)-3=5), this will leave the TI's in
>the dust (the example returns x=0.382533849......in just over 1 sec.).

Really?  I don't think so.  The TI's take well under a second to solve
your example.  As soon as my finger was off the enter key my 92+ had
returned the answer.

The answer my 92+ returned was about 1.53.  The correct answer I might
add.  Doing the algebra by hand, I get  ln(8/sqrt(3)) which agrees
with my calc.

So, not only does the TI 92+ do your example faster, it does it right.
Personally, I prefer a correct answer.  STL can and frequently does
give wrong answers in a few seconds, but so what?

Actually, I think the HP would give the right answer, but HP's are
such a pain in the proverbial ass to use, mistakes are common, as is
probably the case here.

It has long been and continues to be my contention that a TI calc is
faster to use overall.  Again, this appears to be the case.

Follow-Ups: References: