[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

[Fwd: Re: Calculating e]

--
          Rene Kragh Pedersen
Apparently my clothes are defective.
 - Dilbert.

-- BEGIN included message

Douglas S. Oliver wrote:

> I couldn't agree more.  Let's keep in mind here that the US had the lowest
> achievement in math and science in the world along with South Africa, Lithuania,
> and a fourth.  Denmark and Sweden were at the top, if I remember correctly.

No wonder, the math here (in Denmark, at the university, first year) is
getting so theoretical we have a hard time keeping up! :-)

> There was a severe drop after elementary school, where the US was among the top
> nations!

It's really too bad. America has the means to give its young a good
education, yet I meet a lot of frightfully dumb (in terms of linguistics
and common knowledge - the way they express themselves in general)
Americans every day I spend in contact with the 'net. It takes a lot of
intelligent ones to outweigh the PR made by just a few nuisances.
Most people here a more and more prone to jumping to the assumption that
Americans are generally stupid.
A sad notion, don't you think?

> The reward is learning itself; not everything you learn need be
> immediately useful.  If you look at the history of mathematics, most discoveries
> remained useless for a very long period of time until someone got an idea of how
> to use the information.  Children normally know how to count, but they still need
> to learn how to add.  I say hurray for the nobel  "e".
[...]

Well spoken! I am with you all the way!

Regards,

--