--

Douglas S. Oliver
Department of Anthropology
University of California
Riverside, CA 92521
e-mail: douglaso@citrus.ucr.edu
    or: dsoliver@earthlink.net

-- BEGIN included message

I couldn't agree more.  Let's keep in mind here that the US had the lowest
achievement in math and science in the world along with South Africa, Lithuania,
and a fourth.  Denmark and Sweden were at the top, if I remember correctly.
There was a severe drop after elementary school, where the US was among the top
nations!  The reward is learning itself; not everything you learn need be
immediately useful.  If you look at the history of mathematics, most discoveries
remained useless for a very long period of time until someone got an idea of how
to use the information.  Children normally know how to count, but they still need
to learn how to add.  I say hurray for the nobel  "e".

--

Douglas S. Oliver
Department of Anthropology
University of California