Re: Enjoy solving problems?

[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

Re: Enjoy solving problems?

Stuart Dawson wrote:

> Not, however, my software, sportsman. Over ten years, I've devoted at
> least a thousand hours to it.

 If this software is devoting so much of your time, why are you making
it for a calculator? This are calculator programs and the market for
them has been set. Programs don't sell, they get good reviews. These
programmers aren't in it for the money, they're out for the enhancement
of the calculator industry. These are REAL programmers. Ironically, at
1000 hours over ten years, you're spending only 16.5 minutes a day on
it. About 1.1% of your time. Man that is SERIOUS dedication.

> I switched over to TI and started rewriting for all three
> calcs a couple of years ago.

  ALL three? Which three do you mean? 80, 81, 82, 83, 85, 86, 92? 35? Or
something in the 70 range? Or something else?

> I started the project back-when with the
> specific intention of making money at it, after a number of people
> offered me money for programs. I supply a full printed manual (once had
> to get a bank loan to pay for a print run). When required, I give tech
> support. I tie up money in calculators, and carry stock, so I can offer
> my customers ready-to-go packages, not just the software download. I pay
> tax on the profits I make.

  There's a sucker born every minute. Okay, so you close friends bought
the programs... at a dollar a piece, thus the loan, right? Once again,
realize the market. You can get a few people who don't know better to
buy your product, but if you start marketing it as a buy-only thing,
people won't buy. Give just about any programmer the idea of your
software, and (s)he'll outdo you in a few weeks. There is no way you can
try to monopolize enough of the market so that you'll actually turn a
profit.

> And now you're telling me, essentially, that you have a perfect right to
> rip off my software?

 Not rip off... provide competiton. If you don't want someone to beat
you to the market, then keep your program to yourself, and live in a
cave. Someone, somewhere will make the product better somehow, and if
you feed off of it, the idustry gains, but if you want to keep all the
profits to yourself, you'll go bankrupt because no one is buying your
product.

> Your breed of parasite ought to be crop-dusted out of existence.

  Ha Ha Ha Ha Ha Ha Ha Ha Ha. If you can do so well on your own... then
try it. Find a cave and hole up for a few years.

> Horse-feathers. What planet are you from? We _do_ attach monetary value
> to most worthwhile ideas; that's the intellectual property thing that
> seems to bother you so much. And "societal progress" (there's a giveaway
> phrase to ID a MarxoLeftie born loser, eh?) is blazing away at full
> throttle.
>
> Compare and contrast: The Soviet Union, where you weren't allowed to
> benefit from an innovation you came up with (your ideal, seemingly), so
> folks didn't bother much, and drank vodka instead; and the modern West,
> where when you make something, a coffee-table or a software package,
> it's yours alone to do what you want with - sell it, give it away or
> toss it off a cliff.
>
> Now get back under your flat stone.

  Yes, it is possible to attach a monetary value to worthwhile ideas,
and that only comes up in those frivoluous law suits that clog up this
nations judicial system all because egomaniac yuppy-scum
toilet-paper-of-the-earth losers like you want to make a dishonest buck.
Ironically, we could learn a lot from the Marxism, not all of it, but
some. The whole idea that profit shouldn't be important comes into play
here (I'm not saying we should regulate everything, just focus on the
product). If you make a superior product, and make it so that the whole
of the market benefits from it, the profit will find you. It's that
simple. If you go after looking for the profit, you'll skimp and cheat
your way to making a simply inferior product and eventually you'll find
yourself the butt of too many jokes and rip offs... see also: Bill
Gates.
  Make a good product and people will like you for it. Make them pay,
and they'll go somewhere else. There is no money in the TI calculator
programming industry, so there is no reason to find a way to do it.

-Joseph

 Have A
  :-)
Nice Day