Re: Enjoy solving problems?

[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

Re: Enjoy solving problems?

On 20 Jun 1998 22:58:03 GMT, paliser@aol.com (Paliser) wrote:

>Would like to hear from anyone who can suggest a scheme for protecting
>commercially distributed programs which have been written for the TI-86, or
the
>upcoming TI-89.  I realize it is impossible to prevent outright piracy, even
>the big boys have that problem, but I thought it might be possible to devise a
>method whereby certain information could be rendered unchangeable.  I am
>thinking particularly of things like a company name, authors' name and
>copyright notice, and the authors' contact address.
>The programs are written in TI Basic and they all call a program which sets
>global strings and presents the information just mentioned.  The program
>setting the strings is also in TI Basic, but I thought it might be possible to
>imbed this program in machine language in such a way that it could not be
>changed by the end-user or by a pirate.  I would consider this adequate
>protection.
>Any method suggested should not interfere with the normal running of the main
>programs, and should not require that they be re-written.
>
>Open to all thoughts on this subject, and would be willing to pay for a scheme
>which cannot be defeated...even by its own author.
>
>I have no knowledge of machine language so any method involoving it would
>require the assistance of the respondant.
>Your services would be paid for.
>
>Please e-mail me direct.  Any responses posted to this board will not be
>followed up.
>
>E-mail address:
>tiuser@aol.com
        I think if you actually plan on making money off calculator
programs, and TI-Basic ones no less, you should probably think about
changing your plans.  Unless you come up  with something incredibly
unique, no one  in their right mind would pay for it, protection or
no, since they could just as easily get a free version from someone
else or write their  own program (for simple formulas, the best
option).  Even TI gives away their ASM math  programs for the 86.
        Maybe ASM programs that actually act as shell extensions,
which can be accessed like built in calculator functions, would have
some future (I think TI has made a provision for doing this with the
new TI-73, and they even signed up some software makers for it).
Then, it would be impossible to transfer them, too.  Not that I'd help
you, I am opposed to the entire concept of intellectual property.
-Andy

Follow-Ups: References: