Re: TI-92 application question

[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

Re: TI-92 application question

Darryl,
There is an addendum to the Guide Book that explains this problem.
It is labeled 9804324-0002.  The problem is that the dummy variables
in the define of the sa function cannot be x, y, and v.  Change
them to xx, yy, and vv and it should work.

Darryl Buller wrote:

> I have an interesting situation with my TI-92.  It does not seem to correctly
> perform Application #5 (the second part - "Finding the Minimum Surface Area
> Analytically" on page 349) from the Guidebook.  I typed in the example
> exactly as indicated.  Step 1 returns the desired result, but Step 2 returns
> a "Circular Definition" error.  What's going on.  Also, I tried breaking it
> up into two or three separate steps, and eventually got something that could
> be simplified into the answer the book gets, although I had to do the
> simplifying by hand!
>
> For example, I eventually got y=sqrt(v/x).  I tried to solve this for x using
> Solve(y=sqrt(v/x),x), and all it returned was the original, y=sqrt(v/x).  Why
> wouldn't it simplify?
>
> I have ROM 1.11, if that helps.
>
> Thank you,
> Darryl Buller
HTH,
Glenn
| Glenn E. Fisher -retired    Internet: Fisher@uh.edu        |
| Central Computing Services  http://www.uh.edu/~fisher      |
| University of Houston       Houston, Texas                 |
| My home address:      22402 Diane Dr., Spring, Texas 77373 |