Re: Symbolic85

[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

Re: Symbolic85

On Mon, 28 Oct 1996, Jonathan Todd Samuel wrote:

> The ti85 does no symbolic manipulation. When you graph y2=der1(x^2     )
>  (I don't remember the full parameter list for der1), all the ti does
> evaluate x^2 at a test point and another very close point for each value
> of x that appears on the graph, so that it can calculate the slope
> (rise/run) for each point on the graph. Unfortunately, the symbolic
> derivative 2x is not anywhere in the calc.'s memory when you graph
> der1(x^2          ), so not even a trick with strings can get to it.

The der1 and der2 funtions are, I think, "semi-symbolic"  I'm sure the
symbolic derivative is not available to the user, but I have heard that
their are some function for which the der1 and der2 funtion do not work.
However, the nDer function will work for every function because it is
purely a numerical method for finding derivatives.  I have not run
accross any functions that do not work with der1 and der2 (but I know
they exist source: TI)

John Logan
n9342326@henson.cc.wwu.edu