Re: Newbie asks, "What is rom?"

[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

Re: Newbie asks, "What is rom?"

Michael Grodsky wrote:

> Is rom Read Only Memory?
>
> If so, how can you replace rom?
> Is it a faster rom, or an error correcting rom?
> or does ROM stand for something else with ti calcs?
>
> I keep hearing about Rom and Rom dumping programs on this mailing list,
> but have no idea what ROM on a calculator is/does etc.
>
> And help/information would be appreciated.
>
> Thanks in advance.

A ROM is a chip on the calculator which contain the programm from TI.
This programm is responsible for the menus, the Basic language, the
solving functions...for all the calculator system. This programm is
written in the CPU language.

ROM stand for 'Read Only Memory', so you can only read it. You can't
erase the original programm nor change it. What I mean with 'Recplacing'
the ROM is not replacing the original programm, but replacing the whole
chip with another chip which contains a newer version from the programm.

ROM dumping is a way to copy the programm from the ROM to the PC. This
way you can dissasmble it, see how it works....