[A92] Middle-level language for TI calculators

[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

[A92] Middle-level language for TI calculators

I'm developing a middle-level language for the TI calcs (though currently
mainly for the 89/92+).  It's stack based, and feels sort of like Forth or
HP's RPL.  You can edit the source in the text editor, and then use an
on-calc compiler (~5K) to compile it into bytecode objects.  These objects
are then executed by a bytecode interpreter (kinda like Java, but not)
which is currently about 3K.
Doing the same operations, it runs at least 60 times faster than TI-BASIC
(18,000 vs. 300 instructions per second), and offers dynamic-linked
libraries, real file I/O, fast graphics, etc.  It doesn't do symbolic math
(yet).
I'm aiming this at programmers who'd like to develop on the calculator
(actually -on- the calculator) with little or no danger of crashing the
calc, but have faster and more powerful than TI-BASIC.  (Incidentally, the
programs generated are usually smaller than their assembler equivalents,
though slower.)

So, this being the largest group of ASM/C programmers I know of, I'd like
to pose some questions.  In an interpreted language, the more abstract the
instructions (draw polygon instead of turn-pixel-on) the better, because
the interpreter spends more time running machine code and less time reading
from files.  What sort of high-level instructions would you all like to
see?  This is your chance to design a language.  The compiler and
interpreter are working on my 92+ already--I just have to write the code
for any new commands, change some lines in the header files, and rebuild
the interpreter to make 'em work.

So, what's your favorite control structure?  (while? do...until?  something
entirely different?)  What sort of sprite/blitting functions would you like
to see?  How should I present keys from the keyboard?  Any input is greatly
appreciated.
Cliff Biffle

Follow-Ups: References: