A86: Re: [OT] A TI compiler - Why not?

[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

A86: Re: [OT] A TI compiler - Why not?

Since no one else has responded, I'll respond.  Programming is for fun.
Only people who enjoy programming can really be called programmers.  If you
like it, then you should program in whatever you want to.  Anyone who enjoys
programming and can do it (yes, it's a gift, believe it or not, everyone
can't be a John Carmack).  If you like to sit in class and write games in
ti-basic, good for you.  That can be a lot of fun.  I started programming
calcs in 10th grade by writing many, many games and other programs in basic
on the 82 (before asm :)

Basic is built into the rom.  Basic is programmed on the calc.  Because it
is hand typed on a cramped keypad, it tends not to get too bloated.  Basic
is slow and limited.  But if it's fun for you to program in, then go ahead.
Now, asm on the other hand, is the programmer's dream.  You have absolute
and total control over the calc.  If it's possible, you can program it.  And
many, many things are possible.  More than one could possibly have time to
ever program.

Now, an intermediate langauge, would be like a bad cross between the two.
It would take away the ease-of-use, because it'd have to be done on the
computer.  And programs could possibly crash the calc, unlike basic
(well...).  Programs would be bloated, without the programmer having to hand
type all the bloated code.  The calc doesn't feasibly have enough memory or
speed to make it possible.

If one desires to learn asm, and puts enough work into it, they can learn
it.  If not, they should stick to basic.  There are many more platforms
(like the PC) that can be easily programmed in "easier" languages, where the
result is much more fruitful and where the overhead is not noticed (or with
Windows, embraced).

That's my point of view, and I'd be interested in what everyone else has to
say.

> I've noted that here there's an "anti-compiler" feeling.
>  If BASIC is too slow, and asm is too dificult, why not
>  a mid-term? Why not to join the confort of a high-level
>  language as BASIC with the speed of a low-level language
>  as asm? "Asm-lovers" don't have to leave asm, and we know
>  the best of the best programs will always come from asm,
>  but certainly many people out there could do good stuf
>  with a language in between BASIC and asm.
>  In my seeing, TI86's memory can handle it, specially if
>  the compiler has shared librarys. Yes, it'll take more
>  space than asm programs but, hey, there's always a price
>  to pay. It's all trade offs.
>
>  NSJ

Follow-Ups: References: