RE: A86: ROM Images (legal battle thread)

[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

RE: A86: ROM Images (legal battle thread)

Frankly, your arguments would never hold up in a court room.  The facts
are that the TI ROM is copyrighted material and you can't distribute it.

--
Bryan Rabeler <brabeler@ticalc.org>
   File Archives, News, Features, and HTML

On Tue, 17 Nov 1998, Thomas J. Hruska wrote:

> (Quake refute is below)
> At 07:59 AM 11/16/98 -0800, you wrote:
> >Nobody said distributing the ROM for programming purposes was legal. They
> >said making a copy of your own ROM for the purposes of programming is legal.
>
> I agree.  However, I have two objections.  The first is that you didn't
> define your pronouns.  The second is that you say "Nobody said distributing
> the ROM for _programming purposes_ was legal."  Although I agree with THAT
> statement, it completely ignores the fact that I am arguing about
> "programming research" while you are on a totally different subject.
>
> Again I challenge:  Prove me wrong.
>
> >Dave

> >>So distributing Quake, for instance, is also legal if you're researching
> >>about 3D game engines...?
>
> Let us look at this from a different light first.  TI ROM images have
> unlimited applications that they can be used for.  Nearly all of these
> applications are research based (only people who are using it for games are
> the exception).  How else would programmers be able to write ASM programs
> for their TI calculator without doing research on the ROM first?  How would
> others prove one programmer's research for their program without
> researching it for themselves?  Now, even the program has to be researched!
>  These programs have to be researched to be matched against the ROM by
> testing them.  The list goes on and on in the different ways that ROM
> images are used for research purposes.
>
> Now, let me return to Quake.  How is someone going to research 3D game
> engines by playing a game?  Playing games for research purposes is never
> going to hold water in court.  However, if the person is REALLY going to
> research Quake's 3D Engine (without using it for gaming purposes), then not
> even the Supreme Court can stand up to that since they made the copyright
> law the way it is.
>
> So, Quake only has *maybe* 2 research purposes at the most.  The TI ROM
> image has _unlimited_ research purposes.
>
> Again:  Prove me wrong!
>
> >>--
> >>Real name..: Jimmy Mårdell
> >>E-mail.....: yarin@acc.umu.se
> >>Homepage...: http://www.acc.umu.se/~yarin/
>

>                  Thomas J. Hruska -- thruska@tir.com
> Shining Light Productions -- "Meeting the needs of fellow programmers"
>          http://www.geocities.com/SiliconValley/Heights/8504
>                     http://shinelight.home.ml.org

Follow-Ups: References: