A86: Asm Questions that have been building up :)

[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

A86: Asm Questions that have been building up :)

You have never seen so many questions in your life....

There have been a few discussions on the list that are currently beyond my
level or nagging me and that I am curious about. I don't have the experience
as many other people do in this group, as being 15. Also couldnt find much
information on these topics looking at other sources.

Possibly Stupid Questions
------------------------------------

Is the whole purpose of an org in a source file is so that the assembler can
calculate fixed memory jumps? (JP)

Why does the Z80 reverse bytes so often, like when you store or retrieve a
byte from the memory, it is stored in reverse order. Why does it make things
so complicated?

If the Z80 is so cheap (a few bucks right?) why is the calculator so
expensive? Is it because of the LCD mainly? How come an LCD is so expensive
to make, and it is possibly to buy the same or a similar LCD that they use
in the TI-8x calcs.

How come the [on] key cant break out of an asm program? Is functionality
like that possible?

Fairly Intelligent Questions
-------------------------------------

For example, what is the APD? Does this involve the calc going into low
power mode? Does this also involve get_key or whatever, where a keypress is
received in low power mode?

What is this (sqrt)Key thing I have been hearing about? If it has something
to do with the square root key, how does this involve locking the memory or
a fake memory reset? How are you guys so successful with disassembly? Are
there any tricks to this skill of reverse engineering? I am still amazed
Zshell was even made! and even the menus look fairly complicated, yet
someone out there managed to figure them out.. Damn

What exactly is a token?

Are interrupts used in grayscale? I was looking over the source code to a
grayscale pic and it seems to rapidly change the display using port 0. But I
have heard interrupts are in use with it. The grayscale pic uses HALT alot,
and halt is supposed to wait for an interrupt.. Huh? Where does this
interrupt come from?  Anyone have any info about? How come no one has made
any grayscale games? It is excessively complicated?

What are other uses for interrupts? One interrupt cycles 200 times a second
right? Could this be utilized as a system clock?

Is there a memory point where asm is executed when the calculator starts up?

How was rom86 designed, and the speed synchonized? If rom86 could dump a
rom, could I use the link port to control a program? Like using the calc to
control a game? Any ideas? How can the link port be used in this manner?
Could I use the computer to control the calc? Hmm..

Questions you should smack me for

How are the games emulated on the TI-85? Why is grayscale emulation so
difficult to emulate? Anyone think grayscale will work better with the
TI-89? It is supposed to have a better LCD, maybe it has a higher refresh
rate.

What is the file format of the .86p file? Is it similar to the 85 file? The
paged ram on the 86 is supposed to make it slower. How slower is the 86
compared to the 85? Would this make games like Daedulus out of the question?
How come Andreas doesnt work on the TI-86? Does it have to do with his
interest in the game boy?

Is the TI-86 strong enough to drive a small speaker from it's link port? Has
any programs been designed for this? Wouldnt the speed of the processor be
too slow for digital sound to be produced? After all, the speaker would have
to be rapidly turned on and off (that is how the PC speaker could duplicate
digital sound)

Well that is quite a bit of questions I know, but I can learn a lot more..
The TI-86 is an amazing calculator yet very complicated. I have a folder
full of print outs of assembly information, source code, etc. Amazingly
enough, the folder is thicker then my math book! It must be six inches
thick... and yet still many questions unanswered. ne of the reasons I made a
web page is so I can learn more about the TI-86, and at the same time help
other people who are starting out learn.

Thanks, Matt
matt2000@gte.net

http://www.dogtech.com/cybop/ti86/