Re: A86: Asm Questions that have been building up :)

[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

Re: A86: Asm Questions that have been building up :)

>If the Z80 is so cheap (a few bucks right?) why is the calculator so
>expensive? Is it because of the LCD mainly? How come an LCD is so expensive
>to make, and it is possibly to buy the same or a similar LCD that they use
>in the TI-8x calcs.

I can field this one.  the Z80 chip costs approximately 25 cents to make.
figure TI pays max 75 cents for them, in bulk.  the LCD isn't even that
expensive, i dont know exactly though.  But, boys and girls, can you say
the word, "profit"?  I knew you could.  We live in a free market economy,
and TI wants their fair share of the buck.  Aside from that, I imagine that
given the primitive and complicated nature of assembler for the Z80,
programming the ROMS for the various calcs that have them must have been a
difficult, expensive task.  and the $120 price tag on each 86 pays for a
little bit fo that.

Robby Gutmann
gutmann@planet-connect.com
ICQ UIN: 724927      Agonostis on IRC

"Let's just say that if complete and utter chaos was lightning,
he'd be the sort to stand on a hilltop in a thunderstorm wearing
wet copper armour and shouting 'All gods are bastards'."
	-- Rincewind discussing Twoflower
	   (Terry Pratchett, The Colour of Magic)

Follow-Ups: References: