Re: A86: Re: PutSprite

[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

Re: A86: Re: PutSprite

Yes, I should have made myself clear.  3D is easy if you have a fast enough
machine and programming language you are familiar with.  I know C/C++
pretty well, and could write a wolf3d-like game for a pentium.  But I'm
still very new to Z80 asm, so I couldn't even render a single 3D screen for
the calc.  Drawing  sprites gives me enough trouble.

But if that's a challenge to write a 3D game...

At 07:23 PM 6/1/98 -0400, you wrote:

>>No offense, but I think he wants strictly 8x8, not a variable sized
>>routine.  I am also interested in a strictly 8x8 routine, since it would be
>>faster and not require storing the size with the data.
>

>I dont want to start a flame here, but I do want to point out a few things
>that people notice.  If one day you ask for an
>8 by 8 sprite routine and the next day you comment on "how easy" it would be
>to write a 3D video game come one, who
>are you fooling? Even a slow 3d game would be hard.  Now I wasn't quite
>bright enough to figure out my own PutSprite, but I did learn line by line
>how both the FindPixel and PutSprite routine works and put them together to
>make my own PutSprite. Then I noticed how easy it would be to modify the 8
>by X to 16 by X sprites. I give a well commented version of a PutSprite.
>Come one you guys know how to optimize! Take out the variable and substitue
>an 8 for b in the djnz instruction. Modify the FindPixel routine so the
>Push/Pops disasseaper. Simple stuff

// David Phillips
// mailto:electrum@tfs.net
// AIM: electrum32