Re: A85: server

[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

Re: A85: server

> this isn't a ti question but does any know how i could setup my own computer
> as an internet domain server.  any help i could get would be great thanks.
>
> Aaron
> Gillzizizq@aol.com

Well, I'm sure you know this much, but you need to buy/register your domain
in the first place.  Then on the server that the correct IP address is on,
you have to run a Domain Name Server, like Apple's MacDNS for the Mac.  Most
UNIX's have built in DNS's.  If you plan to do multiple subdomains, it would
be much easier to use a powerful router to connect your network to the
world, I recommend a Cisco.  Most nice routers have built in DNS functions.
You normally set this up through at web browser on one of your Intranet's
computers.  The router will handle address changes between the Intranet and
the rest of the world, and the DNS function will handle routing of internet
traffic to the right server on your intranet.  If you know a good deal of
perl or something, or, the better aproach, if the router you get has this
function, you DEFINATELY want to create a firewall around the router, and
maybe make one server accessible only through an SSL to yourself, for remote
administration.

If you are starting from scratch, I can recomend a newer Cisco router on a
DSL connection, and a 100BaseT connected Intranet/Server Base of PowerMac
Server G4/450's.  These include Mac OS X, which is the most powerful server
OS now, behind mainframe UNIX; even the ARMY switched to it after a
wisconsoner hacked into their WinNT system.  This also includes WebObjects,
which is Apple's powerful web applications/database/ecommerce development
tool.  It can help make groovy websites.

Hope that helps.  Good luck.

Michael Erlewine
President
erle0008@tc.umn.edu
AIM: mitchdogg
Erlewine Consulting Group, St. Paul, MN
Complete computer, web and network consulting and installation
Some of the best rates in the industry!
erlewine@lynxus.com, erlewine.homepage.com (still under constructon)
Phone: (651)730-6656 Fax: (651)501-3780