Re: LZ: PSOII Libraries

[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

Re: LZ: PSOII Libraries

At 02:59 AM 6/26/94 +0100, you wrote:
>I use unixish OSes all the time.  I have linux set up on a dual boot
>with os/2 4.0.  How can all you win95 users talk about "IQ Checks" when
>you are using the sinlge most lame operating system ever.

Actually, IMHO, the credit for the lamest operating system ever probably
goes to Macintosh.  I know some people like it, and I respect thier
opinion.   I just don't like it.  And, just because I use Win95 doesn't
mean I'm stupid.  I use it because it does what I need it to do and it does
it well.  By adding a few utilities and spending a little time tweaking it,
you can vastly improve upon Win95.  Also, most software is made for Win95
now, especially shareware.  I have respect for UNIX OSes, in fact I would
probably use Linux if I didn't want to spend the time installing it and
finding software to replace the software that works perfectly now.  I never
thought I would be defending Win95 :-)

>I understand
>USGARD fully.  I don't feel that it is complicated.  I don't even think
>that ease of use is a valid catagory in software review.

I do.  I don't want to spend time learning how to use software when I could
actually be using it.

>In os/2
>instead of dos-like command prompts I choose to use bash or zsh.  The
>problem with USGARD is that it is impracticle and has too much overhead
>for a 28k calculator.  There is exactly 28226 bytes free availble on the
>calc.  USGARD with shell (assuming you use the smallest one) takes up
>almost 10% of your memory.  Then you have to add about double that for
>libraries in practicle use.  I don't have a problem with the ideas
>behind USGARD, just how and where it was implemented.  And as far as
>making programming easier, it really isn't (almost all the libraries are
>just converted commonly availible zshell routines).

I think that it's a little easier, but not enough to justify programing for
it.

Sorry for the off-topic post.

James Sulak
james@superb.net