Re: LZ: PSOII Libraries

[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

Re: LZ: PSOII Libraries

Jeffrey S. Sharp and Crystal L. Baird wrote:

> Micah/Richard Brodsky wrote:
> >
> > PSOII ... Passive Shell Overlay/Independant Implementation.
>
> IMHO, this is the best library-implementation strategy thought of so
> far.  Why?  Because it's *shell-independent* without taking up too much
> space.  Space, of course, is a most challenging restriction to the TI-85
> programmer/user.  I have been silent throughout the whole USGARD
> introduction, but I have been watching very carefully.  Andreas, please
> don't take offense to the following--these are just my personal
> thoughts.
>
> It seems to me that USGARD is a *great* idea--if you had 64K or 128K of
> RAM.  There is just not enough memory on the average non-ESF-equipped
> person's calc to put enough games AND the USGARD shell AND the required
> libraries.  Remember: we have less than 32K at best in which to work.

Umm... Usgard is 1k bigger than ZShell (incl the shell), another few 100
bytes bigger than CShell. If all libraries you have on the calc is used
by at least one program, you haven't lost any memory (well, a few bytes
for the library call). If two programs uses the same library, you save
memory. So how can you say that it uses a lot of memory!?

> We only have room enough for something simple--and even good-ole CShell
> is too large to store more than a few games.  It's just too cramped in
> there.  Plus, USGARD's implementation strikes me as being a little
> complicated.  Ever wonder why no one ever writes games anymore? They're
> too busy worrying about their shells or how to program for them.

Well, compare Usgard with Unix - it's an IQ test. If your too dumb, well, continue
use the old shells, but you'll miss a lot of good stuff. Btw, programming
for Usgard is a LOT easier than for ZShell - that was one of the points sort
of...

> So, IMHO, USGARD is a great idea that will need some ver aggressive
> marketing (Andreas, you are doing a very good job) to make users and
> programmers see past the memory constraints and complexity.  Ohhhh and
> as far as PSOII lacking interrupt mechanisms, well, you can write a
> PSOII library to do it, right?

Kind of hard to make it shell independent then... well, it would work, but
if that add-on both will have interrupts support and libraries, it will end up
bigger than Usgard :-/

--
Jimmy Mårdell                   "Searching for shelter
mailto:mja@algonet.se            My brain is on ice

Follow-Ups: References: