From: assembly-83-bounce@lists.ticalc.org
[mailto:assembly-83-bounce@lists.ticalc.org] On Behalf Of David Phillips
Sent: Wednesday, August 21, 2002 8:01 AM
To: assembly-83@lists.ticalc.org
Subject: [A83] Re: *.calc [OT]

My comment about Apache was not specific to calc.org.  However, there
are
many sites that do get several hundred or thousand hits (HTTP requests)
per
second.  Apache won't really scale past a few hundred and to do that can
require a hefty box (much more than would be required with a properly
designed server).

Your comment points out a common misconception about serving web pages.
For
most sites, a single user will generate multiple requests.  If a page
has
ten images on it, then a page request will generate eleven total HTTP
requests.  Do each of these requests require a heavy weight web server
process?

And as for needing to visit the real world, my comments stem from
working
with this stuff on a day to day basis.  It's one thing to implement a
simple
web server that has limited configurability and can only handle static
content.  Designing and implementing a full production capable server is
entirely different.  If your site only gets a few thousand page requests
day, then Apache will work fine.  Some of us aren't that lucky.