[A83] Re: *.calc [OT]

[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

[A83] Re: *.calc [OT]

My comment about Apache was not specific to calc.org.  However, there are
many sites that do get several hundred or thousand hits (HTTP requests) per
second.  Apache won't really scale past a few hundred and to do that can
require a hefty box (much more than would be required with a properly
designed server).

Your comment points out a common misconception about serving web pages.  For
most sites, a single user will generate multiple requests.  If a page has
ten images on it, then a page request will generate eleven total HTTP
requests.  Do each of these requests require a heavy weight web server
process?

And as for needing to visit the real world, my comments stem from working
with this stuff on a day to day basis.  It's one thing to implement a simple
web server that has limited configurability and can only handle static
content.  Designing and implementing a full production capable server is
entirely different.  If your site only gets a few thousand page requests a
day, then Apache will work fine.  Some of us aren't that lucky.

> If you are arguing that Apache's client handling can't handle 10000
> users (I assume so by the link), then you have to stop and think, how
> many individual users of calc.org is there? Now even if we all agreed to
> hit it at the same time, we'd still never get 10000 users requesting
> data at the same time. I think you are just an idealist that needs to
> visit the real world(tm).

Follow-Ups: References: