[A83] OT: XP (Re: Re: Problems with Virtual TI)

[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

At 21:56 2001-11-07, you wrote:
>Well it has a couple of bugs, like two *I think* video cards won't work with
>it, (it gives you the blue screen of death every once in awhile with those
>certain cards) that should be fixed though. It has really good voice support
>for like text documents and when you want it to play music. It also is very
>stable like control + alt + delete doesn't freeze up the computer until you
>exit out of that prompt like the previous versions. So if you were burning a
>cd or playing music in the background those would keep going. Also it has a
>more graphical interface other than, that its basically the same. I like it.

I tried XP for about 5 days, then I got very tired of it, and removed it,
and switched back to Win2000 that I ran before.
They have totally messed up the interface imho.
I couldn't change it to the way I wanted it, like the taskbar couldn't be
modified as freely in size if you have it on the side of the screen instead
of the bottom. It had tons of small "improvements" that hid functions
relevant to me and provided me with quick buttons to features I never use.
It had small annoying office like wizards popping up warning me about disk
space every 5 minutes that was impossible to turn off if you didn't install
Power Toys, and a lot of small stuff like that, that taken together made it
unusable to me.
The new style was even harder to get to look alright, so that I turned off
very quickly going to "classic" mode.
Took me days just to turn off all this stuff, and I still didn't get the
interface as I wanted it.  The thing that pushed me over the edge though,
was that I couldn't get it to play mpegs and divxs good on my computer.
It claimed to use my hardware, but it sure didn't look like it.... the
movies where unwatchable with the mediaplayer that came with XP, and when I
tried use version 6 from my w2k installation, it at least played smothly,
but reduced colors to something that looked horrible.
Could probably be fixed, but at that point I was very tired of XP.
About the cntrl+alt+del, it doesn't freeze the computer in Win2000 either.

For me, win2000 is still the best choice. Maybe XP will get usable in later
versions though. I will probably try it again in a year or so.

///Olle