Re: A82: Life

[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

Re: A82: Life

see inside for comments...
-Greg

        "You know, it's at times like this when I'm trapped in a Vogon
airlock with a man from Betelgeuse and about to die of asphyxiation in
deep space that I really wish I'd listened to what my mother told me when
I was young!"
        "Why, what did she tell you?"
        "I don't know, I didn't listen."

On Mon, 23 Mar 1998 13:16:53 -0700 Bryan Catanzaro <natrium@cs.byu.edu>
writes:

>I wasn't aware that there was an 85 version - but I went to ticalc.org
>and found it.  It works totally differently than mine does - from what
>could read in the documentation it uses the graph memory as the array,
>and then kills or creates life in a cell by counting the number of
>neighbors each cell has every generation.  Mine represents each cell
>as
>a byte in the APD_BUF - one bit determining if it is alive, another
>determining if it will survive to the next generation, and 4 bits
>holding the number of neighbors.  Each time a cell dies or is born, i
>simply increment or decrement the number of neighbors of each of the
>surrounding cells.  I think it works faster than his algorithm because
>it doesn't have to recalculate the number of neighbors every cell has
>every generation.  Unfortunately, I don't have access to an 85, so i

as for being faster, yes, but the edit screen lags too much, IMNSHO

>can't see if I'm right or not.  As for it being bloated - the size of
>his program is approximately 700 bytes (it is 732 bytes before it is
>sent to the calculator).  Mine is 635 bytes if you compare the
>programs
>more equally - take the size of the demo program, which doesn't have
>any
>input routines or instructions, and subtract 256 bytes because it
>includes a whole sample array.  So, although I know my coding isn't
>the
>most compact or efficient, it isn't that bloated.  If you want, i
>could
>release a version without a title screen or instructions but still
>with
>the input routine - it would be 943 bytes.

yeah, that seems about right... how's about using the graph(ing) mem for
the background? (perhaps release 2 versions?) it'd save a lot of bytes...
removing the editor and such...

I still think it's great that someone did this prog, and that it's pretty
damn good, too.