Re: A82: Life

[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

Re: A82: Life

i'd hit you if i wasn't in NY and you in Michigan.

EVERY programmer should know what it is, so here's the docs from life.85s

  LIFE is: (in the 85 version)

Another addition to the collection of old classic games for TI-85. "Game
of
Life" was invented by mathematician John Conway in 1970.  I'm sure that
all
hackers out there have tried it at least once.  If you're smart and
creative,
it can be very intellectually stimulating.  It's a simulation game which
can
generate strange and beautiful patterns, sometimes in complex and
interesting
ways.  Yet Conway's rules of Life are delightfully simple:

   Conway proposed a simple model of growth & decay.  If a living cell
has
more than 3 living neighbors, it would die (overpopulation? starvation?
not
enough privacy?), and if it has less than 2 living neighbors, it also
dies
(loneliness? boredom?).  Thus a living cell can only survive with exactly
two
or three living neighbors.  On the other hand, a dead cell will come to
life
if it has exactly three living neighbors.  Each iteration therefore
results in
some cells coming to life, some dying, and some surviving unchanged.

   However this version of Life has a little expansion:  The Rules of
Life are
changeable!  The rules say what judgement will a cell have on having X
neighbor(s).  Possible judgements are death, survival and birth.  So a
table
is constructed it has 9 indexes (0 to 8 neighbors) and contains a boolean
value that is %00=0 for death, %01=1 for survival, %10=2 for birth and
%11=3
for both survival and birth.  (The boolean-stuff is an optimization
hack...)
   The default 'Conway' table is 0,0,1,3,0,0,0,0,0. Ie. no neighbors =
death,
one neighbor = death, two neighbors = survival, three neighbors = birth
and
survival, four neighbor = death, etc...

-Greg

        "You know, it's at times like this when I'm trapped in a Vogon
airlock with a man from Betelgeuse and about to die of asphyxiation in
deep space that I really wish I'd listened to what my mother told me when
I was young!"
        "Why, what did she tell you?"
        "I don't know, I didn't listen."

On Mon, 23 Mar 1998 18:53:26 EST ADAMMAN106 <ADAMMAN106@aol.com> writes:

>Hmm...I haven't tried the game yet, but it doesn't sound too much like
>the
>Life I'm used to.  Isn't Life that board game where you get a job,
>have pay
>days, pay taxes, etc?
>
>~Adamman

>> I wasn't aware that there was an 85 version - but I went to
>ticalc.org
>>  and found it.  It works totally differently than mine does - from
>what i
>>  could read in the documentation it uses the graph memory as the
>array,
>>  and then kills or creates life in a cell by counting the number of
>>  neighbors each cell has every generation.  Mine represents each
>cell as
>>  a byte in the APD_BUF - one bit determining if it is alive, another
>>  determining if it will survive to the next generation, and 4 bits
>>  holding the number of neighbors.  Each time a cell dies or is born,
>>  simply increment or decrement the number of neighbors of each of
>the
>>  surrounding cells.  I think it works faster than his algorithm
>because
>>  it doesn't have to recalculate the number of neighbors every cell
>has
>>  every generation.  Unfortunately, I don't have access to an 85, so
>>  can't see if I'm right or not.  As for it being bloated - the size
>of
>>  his program is approximately 700 bytes (it is 732 bytes before it
>is
>>  sent to the calculator).  Mine is 635 bytes if you compare the
>programs
>>  more equally - take the size of the demo program, which doesn't
>have any
>>  input routines or instructions, and subtract 256 bytes because it
>>  includes a whole sample array.  So, although I know my coding isn't
>the
>>  most compact or efficient, it isn't that bloated.  If you want, i
>could
>>  release a version without a title screen or instructions but still
>with
>>  the input routine - it would be 943 bytes.
>>
>>  - Bryan Catanzaro
>>

>>  L0rdG0aT, Lord of sodomy and of darkness wrote:
>>  >
>>  > i will look further into the matter... when I get home... i can't
>access
>>  > any Java-capable computers until i'm home.... i also want to find
>out who
>>  > made the ti85 version, because i'll either mail you the source &
>you can
>>  > prot it yourself (great capabilities...  draw on the graph
>screen, and
>>  > then you can run life on the contents... very good verison...)
>>  >
>>  > as for yours, it's a great version, but I believe that there's
>something
> [...]

Follow-Ups: References: