[TI-M] Re: Logs of negative values

[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

[TI-M] Re: Logs of negative values

Well, it is a matter of what you want to define the function on.  If you
are talking about f : R -> R (the function f mapping from reals to
reals)... Then log(-R) is undefined in terms of a real valued function.
If you want to talk about the complex valued logarithm, you have a lot
more values to play with, and in fact you can represent the result.

I suppose that this is analogous to roots of functions.  x^2+1 = y has no
real roots, but it has two complex roots, namely i and -i.

Now, back to your example.  You know that Log is the inverse of the
exponential.  Let's check the value you got.  One fact about complex
exponentials is that the identity (Euler's) is that

e^(i x ) = cos(x) + i sin(x)

Taking e^(i pi) = cos(pi) + i sin (pi) = -1
So indeed, it is true.

The identity shown above can we derived from the polar form of the complex
number.  Any complex number, because of its relation to a 2d vector space
can be expressed

z = r e^(i x)

We do have z = x + iy (a complex number).  But we can do
z = r (cos x + i sin x)
(x is like the angle)
But taking x above as x =0 and y = t we get
e^(i t) = cos t + i sin t...

--
Andy Selle <aselle@ticalc.org>
   Programming and System Administration, Survey Editor, Accounts Manager