RE: TI-M: Even Square

[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

RE: TI-M: Even Square

If you just say "square", the implied domain (starting numbers that are
"allowed") is the integers (counting numbers). By this, if you just say
"square", you are talking about 1,4,9,16, etc., and maybe zero.

If you say "even square", you are only talking about those "squares" (as
above) that are divisible by two. I think that odd squares are more
interesting, myself.

Also, a note on "never-ending decimals"--9/4 is the square of 3/2, and 9/4
is a terminating decimal. This would be a member of the set of "squares of
number", where fractional squares (like 9/4 or 16/25 or 144/121) are
allowed (besides the usual 1,4,9,16,etc.).

By the way, if you just want to find the next regular old square and know
which square you're on, just add the appropriate odd number.

To make this fit the topic "ti-math," the following 89/92 code generates
the nth square (if you start by saying that "one" is the "zeroeth" square
and "four" is the "first" square):

Sum((2i+1),i,0,n)|n=whatever

If you want to make this generate even squares only, you can modify it to be

Sum((2i+1),i,0,2n+1)|n=whatever

But this is different from the problem as originally posed.