Re: TI-H: hey (cont.)

[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

Re: TI-H: hey (cont.)

The signal from a hard drive at the controller board (a good place to find
this is on an old ST-506 Drive) is analogue.  It doesn't say "hole or no
hole", it says "deep pit, shallow pit".

The DSP on hard drives and CD-ROM drives (newer ones) converts that HF
analog information to 1s and 0s by specifying how deep or shallow the pits
are.

If media was designed with percision enough for zerro errors, then it would
be possible.

Grant

>Actually, the reason we have the 0 1 system isn't because computers can't
>understand them, its because of storage. A computer would be able to
>differentiate among different amounts of electricity or whatever. A hard
>drive or a CD can only understand "magnet there or magnet not there" or "hole
>there or hole not there"  So if we had computers like that, we would have no
>storage, which would suck. :)
>
>In a message dated 1/26/00 1:37:44 PM Central Standard Time, npfs@cybcon.com
>writes:
>
><< as i said stupid finals.
> anyway as i was saying even though we would have to totally redesign almost
>everything would it be possible to have instead of a binary code but a system
>based on tens (red 0, blue 1, yellow 3, etc.)  a digital system is good for
>now but it has it's drawbacks of computers only unnderstanding 0 and 1 not
>even actual math.  and plus light pulses are faster than eletrical pulses and
>copper wires and others arn't exactly perfect.  well let's see how this
>goes...
> Bernard >>

Follow-Ups: References: