Re: TI-H: LED Backlight

[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

Re: TI-H: LED Backlight

From: joachim.armbruster@gmx.de <joachim.armbruster@gmx.de>
>> Well, I haven't seen either, but a backlight will usually reduce the
>> visability of the LCD in normal light, the only time it will improve
>> the visability is when you use it in a dark area.
>
>This sounds plausible. But you can switch on the backlight all the
>time.

You can, but in normal light it doesn't help very much, you still end
up with decreased contrast over the original.  Part of the problem
with the backlight is that with the light comming from behind the
LCD you don't get the double polarity twist, so the pixels aren't
quite as opaque.

>The only things I have to compare is my HP48G and a friends '89.
>You can say that the HP48G is better than the 92 but worse than
>the 89. This calculator has the best 'Graph' calc I've ever seen.

I haven't seen the 89, how does its contrast compare to the 86?
(anybody).  Just from a contrast standpoint the 86 is the best I
have seen so far, they didn't try to tint the LCD (which is annoying
at best), its nice and clear.

>I think the TI Backlight is ok. But the thing which makes me mad is
>that I pay more than 400,- DM for a machine that is some cases
>still beaten by the 10 year old HP.
>Thats the only reason.

Yep, you'd think that computer and electronics makers would figure
out soon enough that the two biggest (IMO) usability factors in a
product design are input and output.  Handheld calcs should have
high resolution, high contrast screens, RS232 serial ports and
decent keyboards (I don't have a problem with they keyboards,
they work pretty well).  Analog inputs would be nice too, but not
really necessary for strictly calculator functions.  I guess they are
trying to save money and make profit by selling these things as
extra stuff (CBL, graphlink, etc).

oh well, maybe on the next TI calc...  At least they provide ASM
support now.

DK