Re: TI-H: Re: y2k

[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

Re: TI-H: Re: y2k

Just for fun, think about this.

The US runs on oil.  It is the lifeblood of our economy.  The gas crises of
the 70's was caused by a mere 7% dip in the oil supply.

US government contingency plans are based on about a 70% drop in
availability.  At that rate, there will be no oil based products available
for general consumption.  That means basicly all power generation will fail
in short order, including hydroelectric (which apparently is dependant on
large amounts of very specific oil based lubricants).

A few power stations have their own mines and wells, but not many.  I have
no idea how dependant nuclear power is on oil, but in the US it only
accounts for about 10% of our power anyway (around 7gigawatts).

These experts claim that the SHTF about the third week of Jan, when there
will no longer be any gasoline or power available for public usage.  The
government oil reserves (which are actually patheticly small and low grade,
about 3 days worth at the US consumption rate) will be strictly limited to
military operations, and will take around 3 years to pump out and refine
using the existing equipment (ie, low availability, even to the military).

Every oil company claims to be y2k ready, but consider that if they said
ANYTHING else, their stock would tank and they'd be out of business in a
matter of weeks.

Better put on your peril sensitive sunglasses.
DK
--
"People that hate cats, will come back as mice in their next life."
                                                    --Faith Resnick

Follow-Ups: References: