Re: TI-H: What's wrong with hw2?

[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

Re: TI-H: What's wrong with hw2?

I'm absolutely agree with you when talking about the programming on the
motorola 68k processor itself. In fact, I shouldn't emphasize on the
"syntax", I should have mention "algorithm" since we view the circuitry
+ microprocessor that make up this calc as a whole (it was my fault
though).

I'm not really sure how those grayscale, screen-ram ...etc work, but my
logic keep telling me that there "might" be someways to make it works
because it doesn't make sense to me that TI will disable those features
for no reason. It's just like changing bad tires into a Ferrari. Anyway,
what I was trying to say was that different algorithm must be
implemented in order to access those missing features in hw2 (but no one
know so far except TI). For instance, turning on the X function
requiring the pin# 0,1,2,3,4,5 (just example) of 68k processor to be
high state in hw1. So the machine code that stimulate those pin to be
high is required to access X function in our calc. However after some
modification in hw2, turn on the same function requires pin# 0,1,3,5,7,8
to be high and thus will require different code. In this case, these
functions are those mentioned that are missing in hw2. They might be
still there, but are hidden and require some trick to access them.
Anyway, I still guesing so please forgive me if it is wrong.

Regard,

Olle Hedman wrote:

> hehe.. And how would they change the assembly syntax?
> It isn't ti who made that up you know, it is how the cpu in it works, and that
> is made by motorola and has been the same since 1984.
> What has changed is certain things in the peripherial circuits in the ti89. The
> chips that handle rom-protection and lcd updateing for example.
> The big problem with grayscale is that in hw1 you could have the screen-ram at
> any memoryposition (almost, a stepping by 8), but in hw2 you can only have it at
> certain memorypositions. (I don't remember the exact ones now) and they have
> also changed how the updateing of the screen works, makeing it quite a lot
> slower.
> Have you btw any idea at all how things like grayscale work on the calcs? Do you
> even know how a microprocessorsystem like the ti89 works? It doesn't sound like
> that on you guessings. Or maybe I just misunderstand what you are saying.
>
> //Olle
>
> Jefferson Chang wrote:
> >
> > Hi,
> >
> > I heard that most of the people complain about hw2 for not being able to
> > run
> > most of the games. Hmmm.... I'm wondering maybe TI has modified the
> > implemenation of the assembly coding for TI-89 (hw2) instead of disable
> > some of
> > the great features that the hw1 had (like grayscale?). If think about
> > it, why do
> > they need to disable those features in hw2? It brings no benefit for
> > them don't
> > you think so? Maybe the assembly syntax coding for hw2 is slightly
> > different in
> > order to make those missing features work (grayscale for example). Just
> > my
> > opinion ^_^
> >
> > Thanks.

Follow-Ups: References: