Re: TI-H: Drugs ( was: Linux link software.)

[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

Re: TI-H: Drugs ( was: Linux link software.)

From: Gearry R. Judkins <gearry@tdstelme.net>
>> that many of the illegal substances aren't bad if used in a responsible
>> manner, much the way most people use alcohol and tobacco,
>
>I think the people who can use these substances responsibly already do, and
>in my experience 'the man' tends to look the other way. That is until the
>said responsible individuals become politically active, at which point
their
>responsible use of controlled substances becomes a weakness that 'the man'
>uses as leverage against them.

I don't know, near as I can tell the law enforcement around here will take
down anybody they can find dealing or using, they only tolerate dealing
if they are trying to get to a bigger supplier.  It is not uncommon for
law enforcement to allow mid-sized dealers to operate for a matter of
years while they attempt to get to that dealers supplier.

>> You'd think that by now the people responsible for these tactics would
>> realize that ignorance and misinformation are NOT effective ways
>> to control the American population.

>I disagree.  The majority of our population are very effectively controlled
>by misinformation and ignorance.  Ignorant workers don't know how to obtain
>better working conditions or better wages.

I think that problem was solved a long time ago with the advent of workers
unions.

What I was getting at was that trying to scare people away from drug
use is obviously not very effective (I'm sure it does keep some people
away), they've been trying it for many years, and if they did not have the
cops out there taking down dealers usage would almost certainly rise.

>  After many years of attempting
>> to stamp out illegal drug usage only marginal progress has been
>> made (depending on who you ask).
>
>I don't think that our government really has any desire to stamp out drug
>use.  They just don't like certain things about it.  I have a feeling that
>if heroin dealers worked out of offices and had 401k plans it would be
>different story.  'The man' does not like markets that he can not control,
>and illegal drugs is one of them.

I disagree, because the best way for the government to control the
market would be to legalize them so a controllable market would
become available.

The government wants to squash drug use because the pluralty of
voters (those who influence government officals) have expressed
that interest.  I think its a case of the majority controlling the minority.
Since the majority does not like certain drugs they prevent the minority
from obtaining them.  One of those irritating things about democracy
and big government (liberals), minories tend to loose out.  In my opinion
democracy works better with small government (conservative) with
fewer controls.  Both are valid ways to run a country, but differ in the
importance of personal freedom (which I prefer maximized).

DK