Re: TI-H: This is for you robert

[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

Re: TI-H: This is for you robert

>Please correct me if I'm wrong.

You're wrong :) THe MacOS has Energy Star, it allows both the monitor AND
computer to sleep (suspend) it turns of the monitor, spins down the
harddrive, rests the pprocessor (and drops into MacsBug but you don't know
it :) and when you do anything it wakes up and emits a beeping noise so you
dont think it crashed. As for turning itself on and off, Auto Power On/Off
does the job, tell the mac to turn on at a specific time (Mine goes on at
5:30am) to turn off at any time. all can be set for weekdays, weekends, any
day of the week. Say you like to check email when you wake up. First write
an AppleScript to check time and if the time is right do something, then
Tell the Mac to turn on as your alarm clock (Make some funky noise) run the
script (should be in startup items folder) and check email (The Mac
automatically starts TCP/IP when an App calls for it, of course this is
optional). Autopower On/Off can also turn your mac back on if the power
goes out.

> OnNow is a hardware specificiation that allows the computer to go into a
> low power mode when it is not being used.  When the user is ready to
> use the computer again, s/he hits a button on the keyboard (,mouse,
> etc) and the system instantly returns to the state it was last left in.
> But the extent of this goes much beyond the simple "Suspend" feauture.
> You can schedule your computer to return to a normal state and, for
> example, have it dial-in and retrieve any new e-mail or internet updates.
> In a network enviroment, a sysadmin could "turn off" all the computers by
> hitting one button on the server and turn them all back on just as easily.
> This is one feature that has me excited.  Going around to 50 some
> workstations every night to turn them off and having 50 some machines in
> the morning to turn back on is not fun.  In addition, previous power
> management schemes would lose their network connection as soon as they
> entered power saving mode.  As such, I've had to disable APM on all the
> machines in our labs and inform profs and facuilty to do the same (either
> that or have to deal with a mob of faculty in the morning unable to access
> their e-mail).

---
I pledge allegiance to the Mac of Apple Computer Incorporated, and to the
developers for which it stands, one platform, under Guy, indestructible,
with creativity and multimedia for all.

Follow-Ups: References: