>512kb E2 (Was: TI-H: ide hd stuff)

[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

>512kb E2 (Was: TI-H: ide hd stuff)

I imagine I'll build a final one on one of Bruce's PCBs, and post
pictures of that. The PCB I made doesn't work, but then again
PCBs were meant to be done professionally. I've seen about 4.8kb/sec
on the TI-92, probably around 3.5k/sec on the other TI calculators.
Remember that the 92 has a hardware UART, or so I am told.

I've used the E2 with ti8xemu with no problems, so combined with
addvar85, addvar86, and tiger you can transfer variables right off
the PC without ever having them on a real calc. If you are going
to try to use link port emulation, make sure your E2 batteries
are new. If the PC's idea of a logic 1 is 5.5V and your E2 is
running on 4.2V you're going to have problems. Now that the 8X
driver source has been released I suppose you could write a
Win32 or linux driver that uses the || link to send right to
the E2, but that seems like a bit of a waste of time.

Now then: My official comments about putting more memory onto
the E2. -It's not worth the trouble- You can fit practically
every TI program ever written for ALL of the calculators
into 512kb, excluding perhaps some of the less useful/more
buggy TI-85 programs. Don't go out trying to strap 1MB, or
2MB, or 12.8GB (IDE) onto the thing until you actually have
software to take advantage of it. The main design goals
behind the E2 were, in this order: reliability, low cost,
ease of consturction. Adding more memory could potentially
affect the first, and totally ignores the last two. When
you've actually filled the 512kb, then you add more memory.

Also: So you know, the E2 firmware can address 256+128 bytes
per page, and allows up to 2^15 pages. This method will
support any of the serial flash EEPROMs currently produced
by Atmel. With some modification of the E2 driver you can
add support for the AT45D081 if you don't mind messing with
surface mount; however, don't expect me to do the work for
you. The 512kb chips are cheaper and much easier to work with.

Bryan

--
Bryan Rittmeyer
mailto:bryanr@flash.net