Re: TI-H: Grant: Lets chagne the subject, shall we?

[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

Re: TI-H: Grant: Lets chagne the subject, shall we?

>Grant:
>I just know your having the time of your life conversing with your
>friends on the list here flaming each other, but on to more important
>things.
>you siad you had linux on your mac server right?  well, im getting linux
>for my computer too.  it is a pentium machine /w win95, but im
>partitioning so both can stay, but anyway...
>is that the linux that supports your web page (gussie.alaska.net) and
>your mailing list things for the Mp3?  i am reading about my linux
>before installing it, and it seems i could do that stuff too, but i have
>a few questions:
>1)  is it really that simple?  can i jsut use my 36.6K modem connected
>to my gateway and have people come to my server through the normal
>internet?  do i need a deicated line, or rent IP address/domain name or
>something?  etc: anything else i need special?

All you need is software.

>2) waht speed of modem does yours use?

56k deticated line.  Works fine with my 28.8 modem.  I'll tell ya all how
it works with the cable modem when they activate my service.  I'm beta
testing it for GCI...

>3) does yours support telnet on from outside?

I'm not that stupid!  :)  I could do it, but I don't trust half the people
on the net.  Even if I only let people use lynx, I'd get bunch of porn on
my proxy.

>4) is this stuff hard to do?

Well, thats hard for me to say because I don't know how much you know.

I had help on the first one, but my recent project is a computer that
routes my Cable Modem to my network.  I've setting it up with http, ftp,
and nntp with restricted access.

>I know this stuff is kindof off base form the lsit, but eventually it
>would have a TI web page and perhaps a telnet thing for TI
>software/hardware development, so it is kindof toward the lsit.

Exactly what I was going to set up untill I had someone misuse the
server...  :\