Re: TI-H: Ph34r my 3r337 nu hax0red t0y

[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

Re: TI-H: Ph34r my 3r337 nu hax0red t0y

>Also... The ESF used a chip with something like 4096 bytes per page,
>whereas the the E2 chip has 264 byte pages. In both designs it is
>impossible to have two programs share a page... so as you can
>imagine, if you have a bunch of 600 byte levels or something, you are
>going to be wasting a LOT of space on the ESF, but not nearly as much
>on the E2. That is why 512k should be enough for all of the
>calculators, possibly excluding the 85.

Bryan, don't make me smack you :P

First of all, the ESF was 1 meg, not 512k...  There are NOT that many
programs COMBINED (that are worth storing) across all the calcs to
warrant worrying about efficiency.  Storage efficiency, on average, is
about 70 to 80% with the ESF...  Fine and dandy...  And not one person
I know has ever used all 1 meg, so :PPP...  Worst case you store only
256 1-byte files which is a 0% efficiency...  As soon as all your
games hit 4k or larger (I imagine most 85 games were in the 3k to 7k
range), the absolute worst case efficiency is 50%, and it can only go
up from there.

-Mel

Follow-Ups: References: