TI-H: Back to basics

[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

TI-H: Back to basics

Okay, here we go again...  no more non-TI oriented stuff.

    For the EII, is there a plan to go back to MMODs now that the device
is completed?  I guess this is more Rich's department, but still
important.
    On the schematics, I noticed one thing missing.  A clock signal on
the module port.  Am I wrong, or is that just the way it was meant to
be?  I always thought that a clock signal would be helpful. :)
    Another thought: shift registers and a DAC...  possibly set up four
bit sound, which isn't great, but it beats the current speaker designs.
I was thinking only four bits in order to save memory while adding to
the audio quality enough to make it bearable.  This might also mean that
we can think of using the TI for a bit more fun without a serious hack
job, which, as Mel says, is not something that most ppl are willing/able
to do.
    Other important hacks:  Oh, forget it, I'll just use the frigging
EII module port.... what is that, six lines?  add the clock signal, and
we can probably pull off RS232 as an afterthought.
    Finally, I will now explain my recent flames.  As many have come to
realize, Grant represents the leading force of vaporware on this list.
No one has seen a picture of his mp3 player, the CalcNet, to the best of
my knowledge and that of others, died shortly after all non MBus related
networking concepts became his, and his expanders, however they might
work, are also unseen by most.  In addition, random quips in response to
longer messages (which increase the time it takes for me to d/l my
mail), and unsubstantiated/incorrect claims have gone up, as can be seen
by Mel's recent corrections, and Bryan's, and a few others.  I'd dig up
the evidence, but I delete most TI-H mail after reading it in order to
spare my precious hard drive space.  The point I'm trying to make, and
as kindly as possible, is that you talk the talk, but no one has ever
seen you walk the walk outside of Alaska.  You have webspace, and you
obviously have access to either a digital camera or a scanner, so why
can't you just post pictures of your projects?  If I'm going to see an
image on your site, I don't want it to be what gussie.alaska.net looks
like.  When I want to see a hodgepodge of old machines and cannibalized
systems all souped up to try to keep up with the times, I'll look in my
room.  Let's SEE the ACPlay, let's SEE the EMCXXVII or whatever version
you claimed to get to, and let's SEE the CalcNet wired and working.  And
if you stop working on something, let it be known.  There are plenty of
others out there willing to take over.
    And by the way, TI's can go wireless...  for about $400 a calc.  The
wireless IP Minstrel modems (www.novatelwireless.com) work with a
graphlink/broken pilot connector and everything else, or do I've heard.
But guess what?  No amount of expertise will make that type of design
any cheaper.  Therefore, I'm not going to test it.  I forgot to bookmark
the page and now I have to track it down again... oops :(

Well, I've stated my interests, my reasons, and my annoyance at not
remembering to save a simple web page, which I saw at work, and I clean
out the cache and history daily, just for the hell of it.

dang.

CK